The Routledge Handbook of Disability Activism
The onslaught of neoliberalism, austerity measures and cuts, impact of climate change, protracted conflicts and ongoing refugee crisis, rise of far right and populist movements have all negatively impacted on disability. Yet, disabled people and their allies are fighting back and we urgently need to understand how, where and what they are doing, what they feel their challenges are and what their future needs will be.
This comprehensive handbook emphasizes the importance of everyday disability activism and how activists across the world bring together a wide range of activism tactics and strategies. It also challenges the activist movements, transnational and emancipatory politics, as well as providing future directions for disability activism.
With contributions from senior and emerging disability activists, academics, students and practitioners from around the globe, this handbook covers the following broad themes:
• Contextualising disability activism in global activism
• Neoliberalism and austerity in the global North
• Rights, embodied resistance and disability activism
• Belonging, identity and values: how to create diverse coalitions for rights
• Reclaiming social positions, places and spaces
• Social media, support and activism
• Campus activism in higher education
• Inclusive pedagogies, evidence and activist practices
• Enabling human rights and policy
• Challenges facing disability activism
The Routledge Handbook of Disability Activism provides disability activists, students, academics, practitioners, development partners and policy makers with an authoritative framework for disability activism.
- 2020 selection and editorial matter, Maria Berghs, Tsitsi Chataika, Yahya El-Lahib and Kudakwashe Dube
Choosing a Book Format
EPUB is the standard publishing format used by many e-book readers including iBooks, Easy Reader, VoiceDream Reader, etc. This is the most popular and widely used format.
DAISY format is used by GoRead, Read2Go and most Kurzweil devices.
Audio (MP3) format is used by audio only devices, such as iPod.
Braille format is used by Braille output devices.
DAISY Audio format works on DAISY compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream.
Accessible Word format can be unzipped and opened in any tool that supports .docx files.